The Blacksmiths Arms in Broughton Mills dates back to 1577 and was originally a farmhouse called Broadstones. In 1748 archive records list the property as being an Inn, working farm of 34 acres and blacksmiths. Before this it would have been a “beer house” with the farmer serving ale in the kitchen for travellers and local workers. – There is well documented evidence that Coleridge enjoyed a pint, during his Lakes Tour.
The internal structure of the Blacksmiths Arms remains unchanged with 3 small dining rooms, oak panelled corridor, original farmhouse range, large slate floors from local quarries and oak beams.
It remains one of only two pubs in the Lake District listed in the CAMRA National Inventory of pubs with interiors of ‘historic significance’.
Every 3 years, on the first Saturday in November, the Blacksmiths Arms hosts the Walna Scar Shepherds Meet. This has been taking place for over 100 years. Traditionally Fell Farmers would meet to exchange sheep, that had strayed into other flocks. Today fell farmers bring their sheep to be judged on the field opposite the pub, ‘Shop Meadow’. After the judging there is hotpot and plenty of beer, before the evening’s singing begins.